Give me fifteen!
15 Minutes a Day Goes a Long Way!
Even though your child can read on his/her own, it is important to continue to read/discuss with your child for 15 minutes a day. Short, regular sessions encourage the reading habit.
Use these 15 minutes in a variety of ways:
- Have your child read aloud to you.
- Read aloud to your child.
- Read the same page silently and then discuss it.
- Share the reading time by sitting together, each reading anything that is of interest, jokes, recipes, sports, poetry, biographies, etc.
- At the end of 15 minutes, if your child wants to continue reading, by all means encourage your child to do so.
- Either parent, or both, can be a reading partner- even grandparents, friends, and other relatives.
- Build the right climate. Make it pleasant.
- Create excitement.
- Offer positive comments.
- Read and discuss often.